A well rounded Head of IT with over 30 years of experience and a wide range of skills, including hardware, software, infrastructure, management, training, and support. I am looking to augment my career with additional experiences and develop younger members of the team with a forward-thinking methodology.
Available to relocate quickly if required.
March 2010 to Present – Network Operations Manager – ISB Ltd – www.isb.co.uk – Reigate, Surrey
Working alongside a team of developers and DBAs to design, implement, and support a range of customer facing technologies, for a number of high profile clients. Providing training and support for all staff/management in all aspects of business related technologies.
Implement and maintain the internal network / Internet connections/
Design/configure/maintain internal servers.
Implement and support the M365 infrastructure.
Install and support a VOIP phone system.
Design and maintain remote data centre configurations.
Plan and test DR and BCP scenarios.
Client relationship management.
Organising and implementing external penetration testing and managing remediations.
Working with the ISO team to ensure all documentation and processes are in place and adhered to.
Provide 24/7 support for the development team and senior management.
- Migrating the entire company from hosted Exchange to M365 with almost no downtime.
- Achieved ISO 9001 and 27001 certification and recertification 10 years in a row with no non-conformities.
- Supporting various LBG initiatives including
- Managing the migration of a live, customer facing, system from a failed third party, to a new hosting facility and reverse engineering a number of technologies to rewrite key elements of the job flow without affecting the sites, and associated services, uptime.
- Managing a team to organise the migration of several legacy web based systems/SQL databases from Windows 2003 / SQL 2000 to Windows 2012 / SQL 2016 while maintaining a high level of customer availability.
March 2010 to April 2020 – Owner/Director – JBS Technologies – No longer trading – Reigate, Surrey
Supporting multiple SMEs to grow their teams using cloud based productivity suites along with training staff and developing existing systems to cater for modern work practices.
March 2001 to March 2010 – Head of Group IT – The Custom Group – No longer trading – Biggin Hill, Surrey
Managing the IT teams for a group of companies that included Sky TV installations, Training and Development, ISP, Online shop, IT Support, Sports & fitness, Print and Design, and Charitable hospitality.
- Migrated the entire group from several small workgroup based networks to a standard domain model with over 80 staff, in 6 offices throughout the country, using terminal servers to allow remote working without additional resources as well as the ability to reuse existing equipment.
- Implemented live, remote, system-wide Disaster Recovery setup for guaranteed 24/7 availability of all essential systems.
- Moved and consolidated the entire Group to new premises with zero downtime, maintaining 7 day a week operations.
March 1997 to March 2001 – Managing Director – Titan Analysis Ltd – No longer trading – Crawley, Sussex
Supplying local SMEs with a full range of IT support and IT contract staff based on individual requirements.
- Working with a 3rd party database expert, I managed to recover and restore 99% of all company data from a failed server/network with no formal backups.
- Grew company turnover from zero at startup to over £100,000 p.a after one year of trading.
July 1995 to March 1997 – Desktop Support Manager – Vodafone – www.vodafone.co.uk – Croydon, Surrey
Migrating several hundred users from a Netware/Windows 95 based network to a Windows NT 4.0 Server/Workstation environment. Assisting the Server migration team to move all local MS mail mailboxes to Exchange server.
- Training of several junior staff to assist in their development from desktop support to server support staff.
- Redesigning the departmental stock control system to allow for full visibility of asset’s location, and availability.
- Implementing a full, secure, remote dial in system for the IT director to allow for PC and VT320 access, using emulation, from home.
- Setting up 2 full floors of a new building for customer support staff, using a mixture of stand alone PCs for management and supervisors, and terminals for support staff utilising Citrix Metaframe.
August 1994 to July 1995 – Technical Manager – Aztec Computer Rentals – www.aztecuk.com – London
April 1993 to August 1994 – Senior Support Technician – FirstPoint Ltd – No longer trading – Slough, Berkshire
July 1988 to April 1993 – Desktop Support / Developer – Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Group – www.rsagroup.com – Horsham, Sussex
1983 – 1988 Holy Trinity CofE School, Buckswood Drive, Crawley, RH11 8JE